Only humans have conscience
The use of AI tools is becoming one of the digital competencies of tomorrow and, given the right conditions, this technology can support educational flexibility, the introduction of innovative teaching methods and the development of critical and systems thinking. It can also significantly help students with specific needs. Rather than focusing on information gathering and processing, where AI is no match, we can now focus on cultivating emotional and social intelligence, developing creativity, critical thinking, teamwork, moral responsibility, and last but not least, self-education.
While Silesian University supports the use of AI, we are aware of the potential pitfalls and risks associated with this field. For this reason, we are preparing lectures, seminars and courses where we will not only introduce interested educators and students to the subject, but also discuss with them the questions of how AI will change teaching, testing and learning processes, how it can promote or destroy creativity, critical thinking and authenticity, and last but not least, how to use AI tools for scientific research or artistic purposes. SU is also setting up an AI Advisory Group to address copyright issues.
Recommendations for students
- Respect the instructions of your lecturers to set rules for the use of AI in teaching individual subjects and in the development of assignments or projects.
- When using AI for any form of creative work, mention AI in the list of sources used or in the notes. Include other uses, such as text editing, in the note.
- Always check all AI-generated sources for accuracy. AI often makes up its own sources or is unable to assess their relevance.
- Rather, use AI as a source of inspiration and a basis for discussion.
Recommendations for teachers
- Be open to new technologies. Explore new methods that can be used in teaching.
- Set clear rules for using and citing AI tools in the courses you teach.
- Consider replacing some forms of written work with oral or other forms of testing