University

History of Silesian University in Opava

The history of the Silesian University in Opava (Slezská univerzita v Opavě) is actually quite short. It was established by a law passed by the Czech National Council on July 9, 1991. However, for more than one hundred years, Opava‘s cultural representatives had proposed the creation of an institution of the university type, applying in 1870, 1945 and 1968. Only after the political changes in 1990 their dream came true and two faculties were created in close cooperation with Masaryk University in Brno: the Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava and the School of Business Administration in Karviná. Since 1991 the Silesian University has been expanding. In 1999 the Mathematical Institute in Opava was established after its separation from the Faculty of Philosophy and Science, and in 2008 several other institutes were separated from the same faculty and the Faculty of Public Policies in Opava was created. Now the total number of the students was more than 8000 involved in approximately 50 study programmes.

1991_havel.jpg

The Faculty of Philosophy and Science in Opava offers bachelor, master and doctoral study programmes in humanities, namely in Linguistics, Library Science, History, Archaeology, Museology, and in natural sciences, namely in Physics and Computer Science. The Faculty provides teacher-training programmes in many different combinations. Creative Photography represents the artistic disciplines.

The Faculty of Public Policies in Opava offers bachelor programmes in Administration and Regional Politics, Social Pathology and Prevention, General Nursing and master programmes in Social Policy and International Territorial Studies.

The School of Business Administration in Karviná is aimed not only at the regional and entrepreneurial field, but also at the analysis and evaluation of the impact of globalization and integration processes on individual sectors of the Czech economy. The school offers bachelor, master and doctoral study programmes in Economics, Marketing, Management, Finance and Banking, Economic Policy and Administration and Management Informatics.

The Institute of Mathematics in Opava provides several bachelor, master and doctoral study programmes oriented towards General Mathematics, Mathematical Analysis, Applied Mathematics for Crisis Solution, Geometry and Mathematical Methods in Economics.

 

The Silesian University in Opava is a member of the European University Association and other international institutions. At the beginning of the third millennium it successfully underwent a demanding evaluation process, which was carried out by foreign professionals. The Silesian University is involved in several international student and teacher exchange programmes, particularly within the framework of ERASMUS, it also has a vast cooperation with foreign universities in many research projects. The Silesian University applies ECTS credits and standards in all its study programmes: In 2009 the prestigious certificate Diploma Supplement Label was awarded. The Silesian University in Opava is a university with a positive trend and a future of prosperous development.

The seat of the Silesian University is Opava, which is a historical city originating from the 12th century with a rich history and significant cultural background. Until the end of the second decade of the 20th century Opava had been the political and administrative centre of the region. Initially it was a seat of the Princedom of Opava, later a capital of the then named Austrian Silesia, one of the provinces of the Habsburg Monarchy, afterwards, in the times of the former Czechoslovakia it was a seat of the administration of the Silesian County.

For more information in English language please visit the Webpage of the Department for Foreign Relations.