Thanks to the approval of a special Act on the functioning of universities during the epidemic and the recently published plan of the government to release measures against the spread of the coronavirus epidemic, we can provide you with updated information on the functioning of the faculty and the fulfilment of study obligations.
1) LESSONS IN THE SUMMER SEMESTER AND EXAMINATIONS
- Contact lessons in the form of lectures, seminars and tutorials will not be resumed in the summer semester. Until the end of the semester, lessons for all students will take place exclusively in the form of e-learning using distance learning materials and electronic communication with teachers.
- It is be possible to conduct consultations, examinations, handover of documents etc. at the SU SBA for all students. These activities can take place in groups of a maximum of 15 persons. As the faculty will no longer operate in the standard mode in the presence of all staff, it is essential that students agree on all faculty activities and visits in advance with teachers, departmental officers, or study department staff.
- The academic calendar has been amended by extending the examination period to 25 May - 5 July 2020 and 3 August - 31 August 2020. The academic year will not be extended and will end on 31 August 2020.
- Based on the newly adopted Act and the statement of the National Accreditation Office for Higher Education, it is possible to change the form and procedure of examinations and credits for individual courses this semester. For example, teachers may introduce oral examinations instead of the originally written exam, the form and structure of the tests may be changed, and in particular, the distance form may be used. The exams will be able to take place via video conferences (MS Teams, Skype, Zoom) or tests in IS SU or Moodle. You will be informed about the form of examinations and possible changes compared to the original conditions of completion by the teachers of individual courses.
2) STATE FINAL EXAMINATIONS, SUBMISSION OF MASTER’S THESES
- According to the Dean's Decision No. 2/2019 the Schedule of educational activities for the academic year 2019/2020 it is necessary to submit Master’s theses by 4 May 2020 (1st term of SFE) or by 30 June 2020 (2nd term of SFE). Given the persisting complications and limitations, however, it will be sufficient for you to simply enter your theses in the prescribed electronic form into the IS SU within the above-mentioned deadlines. It is possible to deliver printed and bound theses by the Czech Post, to the mailroom of the SU SBA or the departmental officer (by prior agreement) at the latest by the date of the state final examinations. It is also acceptable to bring copies of the final thesis with you on the day of the state final examinations.
- State final examinations will take place at the SU SBA in due dates set by the Schedule of educational activities for the academic year 2019/20. The 2nd term of the state final examinations is extended by 5 days, i.e. from 17 August - 31 August 2020. Students will execute the state final examinations directly at the faculty. Registration for the state final examinations in the IS SU is possible only after passing the last examination/credit. The conditions for registration are specified in the Conditions of the implementation of the state final examinations.
3) LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
- University Library, the workplace in Karviná remains closed for most services.
- On Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9 am - 12 pm, books will be handed out, the loan of which must be ordered by sending a request to the e-mail: email@example.com It is necessary to write a book’s title, the pressmark, the name, the surname, a year of birth of the student and also exact time of collection. Books will be ready to be picked up behind the main glass door to the library. Books can be found in the catalogue https://tritius.slu.cz/library/karvina/. Books can be returned only to the book return box, which is located opposite the reception of the Dormitory Na Vyhlídce.
- You can use the rich collection of electronic information resources of our library and other libraries that make their resources available in this emergency. For more information please visit: https://www.slu.cz/opf/en/library
- If necessary, you can contact the library staff for advice or assistance via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
4) EVALUATION OF LESSONS
- The lesson quality survey is also running for the summer semester in IS SU and please do not hesitate to take part in it despite cancelling contact lessons. We especially welcome comments and observations on securing the course with a sufficient number of quality study materials, the use of distance forms of teaching and the level of communication between teachers and students.
5) ENTRY TO THE BUILDING AND ITS OPERATION
- The main building of the Faculty in Univerzitni nam. is open from 7 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday.
- Students can enter the building if the following conditions are met:
- The student is free of acute health problems corresponding to the viral infection (e.g. fever, cough, shortness of breath, sudden loss of taste and smell, etc.).
- The student is provided with mandatory upper respiratory protection.
- The student must not be quarantined.
- The student completes an electronic affidavit in IS SU on the absence of Covid-19 symptoms.
- Disinfectant is available in the building and toilet dispensers contain disinfectant soap.
- Surface disinfection is carried out regularly.
I wish you all a lot of strength, good mood and good health.
In Karviná, 15 May 2020
Prof. Ing. Daniel Stavarek, Ph.D.
Dean of the SU SBA